Monday, March 19, 2012

Wheelchairs will soon be obsolete



Tek RMD

As I was browsing around in search of cool new gadgets, I came across this article about a new form of mobility for people confined to wheelchairs. It looks kinda like a Segway but it does much more for people who seriously need the help. Developed by Turkish scientists, the Tek Robotic Mobilization Device opens up a new chapter in handicapped mobility. It has Crucial Standing Assistance which allows users to enter the device from the front so they don't have to use momentum and jump into it like a wheelchair. All they have to do is call it over with a remote control and it comes to them, connect a thick padded strap to their back and it gradually raises them to a standing position where they could do many more things without the bulk of a traditional wheelchair. It also allows users to access places where wheelchairs couldn't like crowded areas, libraries, grocery store, and the main aspect of it is that it allows them to be in a standing position the whole time. Whenever necessary, the user may push a bottom and it will go into a seated position with ease. Please read the rest of the article and watch the video. It's amazing!

Story of Yusuf Adturkoglu:
Wheelchairs will be a thing of the past...

Actual Website for the device:
Tek RMD - Robotic Mobilization

-Donato

5 comments:

  1. This is really cool. It sounds like it would be an item between a regular wheelchair and a power-chair, like the ones used by para/quadriplegics.

    -Himmler

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really impressive! Not only is it more functional than a wheelchair but it can give independence and dignity to those who require it's use. We really have come a long way!

    ~ Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is great. I'm happy to see technology being used to help the handicap instead of making some more stupid things. This seems like a great idea. I wonder if it actually works as good as they are saying or if there are any gliches in it.
    -Danielle Cox

    ReplyDelete
  4. This freaks me out... Only because I feel that although this is useful for SOME people, there will most definitely be some who take advantage of this technological advancement. For having a handicapped mother I surely know what it's lie to see her in pain and no be able to use a wheelchair, so that's where I see the convenience. But, it's when I start seeing it misused for overweight people that would rather not exercise (and I'm not speaking about thyroid conditions because that's a disability). I don't know, I'm on the fence on this one. Too much of a good thing? This might be taken advantage of? Food for thought.

    -Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spelling corrections on my last post... like* and not*

    -Noelle

    ReplyDelete